Evaluation and Summarization of Student Feedback Using Sentiment Analysis
- 65 Downloads
educational data mining facilitates educational institutions to discover useful patterns and apply them to improve the overall quality of education. analysing student feedback may help institutions to enhance student’s learning capabilities in the classroom. we propose a student feedback analysis system that helps in identifying sentiments from student reviews, and it further helps in generating the summary of feedback. it is implemented using sentiment analysis and text summarization techniques. based on our evaluation, the lexicon-based approach did better than traditional machine learning-based techniques. finally, we were able to generate a precise summary of student feedback.
KeywordsEducational data mining Sentiment analysis Machine learning Text summarization
- 1.Chaplot, D.S., Eunhee R., Jihie, K.: Predicting student attrition in MOOCs using sentiment analysis and neural networks. In: AIED Workshops, vol. 53 (2015)
- 2.Wen, M., Yang, D., Rose, C.: Sentiment analysis in MOOC discussion forums: what does it tell us? In: Educational Data Mining (2014)
- 3.Hutto, Clayton J., and Eric Gilbert. "Vader: A parsimonious rule-based model for sentiment analysis of social media text." Eighth international AAAI conference on weblogs and social media. 2014
- 4.Hu, M., Sun, A., Lim, E.P.: Comments-oriented document summarization: understanding documents with readers’ feedback. In: Proceedings of the 31st Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval. ACM (2008)
- 5.Turney, P.D. Thumbs up or thumbs down?: semantic orientation applied to unsupervised classification of reviews. In: Proceedings of the 40th Annual Meeting on Association for Computational Linguistics. Association for Computational Linguistics (2002)
- 6.Taboada, M., et al.: Lexicon-based methods for sentiment analysis. Comput. Linguist. 37(2), 267–307 (2011)
- 7.Kontopoulos, E., et al.: Ontology-based sentiment analysis of twitter posts. Expert Syst. Appl. 40(10) 4065–4074 (2013)
- 8.Mihalcea, R.: Graph-based ranking algorithms for sentence extraction, applied to text summarization. In: Proceedings of the ACL Interactive Poster and Demonstration Sessions (2004)
- 9.Institute of Engineering and Technology. Devi Ahilya Vishwavidhyalaya, Indore
- 10.Pandas Python library.
- 11.Scikit-learn is a machine learning software library freely available for python programming languages.
- 12.NLTK is a library to deal with natural language text for english written in Python programming language.
- 13.Python library for topic modelling, document indexing and similarity retrieval with large corpora.
- 14.Naive Bayes for Machine Learning.
- 15.Support Vector Machines for Machine Learning.
- 16.100k Coursera’s Course Reviews.
- 17.Mihalcea, R., Tarau, P.: Textrank: bringing order into text. In: Proceedings of the 2004 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (2004)