IoT Security Issues and Possible Solution Using Blockchain Technology
- 25 Downloads
the world is moving along with the technical advancement where smart home and smart cities are creating smart lifestyle and internet of things (iot) is being one of the most popular technologies in this decade. iot is making life better by connecting devices and producing billions of data. but for the heterogeneous connectivity, smaller size, memory, storage and less security measurement, it is easy to hack and manipulate the iot devices. to have a safe and secured connection, it is a must to ensure the data security in iot too. this research proposes a novel method to secure the iot devices using blockchain technology.
KeywordsInternet of things Security Threat Blockchain
- 1.Zaslavsky A, Jayaraman PP (2015) Discovery in the internet of things. Ubiquity 1–10.
- 2.HP Study Finds Alarming Vulnerabilities with Internet of Things (IoT) Home Security Systems. . Last accessed 11 Dec 2018
- 3.Khan MA, Salah K (2017)IoT security: Review, blockchain solutions, and open challenges. Fut Gener Comput Syst 395–411.
- 4.Alaba FA, Othman M, Hashem IAT, Alotaibi F (2017) Internet of things security: a survey. J Network Comput Appl 8:10–28.
- 5.Granjal J, Monteiro E, Sa Silva J (2015) Security for the Internet of Things: A Survey of Existing Protocols and Open Research Issues. IEEE Commun Surv Tutor 17(3):1294–1312.
- 6.Roman R, Alcaraz C, Lopez J, Sklavos N (2011) Key management systems for sensor networks in the context of the internet of things. Mod Trends Appl Secur Architect Implement Appl 37(2):147–159
- 7.Granjal J, Silva R, Monteiro E, Silva JS, Boavida F (2008) Why is IPSec a viable option for wireless sensor networks. In: 2008 5th IEEE international conference on mobile ad hoc and sensor systems, pp 802–807.
- 8.Cirani S, Ferrari G, Veltri L (2013) Enforcing security mechanisms in the IP-based internet of things: an algorithmic overview. Algorithms 6(2):197–226.
- 9.Sicari S, Rizzardi A, Grieco L, Coen-Porisini A (2015) Security, privacy and trust in internet of things: the road ahead. Comput Netw 76(Suppl. C):146–164.
- 10.Zhang Z-K, Cho MCY, Wang C-W, Hsu C-W, Chen C-K, Shieh S (2014) IoT security: ongoing challenges and research opportunities. In: 2014 IEEE 7th international conference on service-oriented computing and applications.
- 11.Huh S, Cho S, Kim S (2017) Managing IoT devices using blockchain platform. In:2017 19th international conference on advanced communication technology (ICACT).
- 12.Kosba A, Miller A, Shi E, Wen Z, Papamanthou C (2016) Hawk: The blockchain model of cryptography and privacy-preserving smart contracts. In: 2016 IEEE symposium on security and privacy (SP).
- 13.Azaria A, Ekblaw A, Vieira T, Lippman A (2016) MedRec: using blockchain for medical data access and permission management. In: 2016 2nd international conference on open and big sata (OBD).
- 14.Biswas K., Muthukkumarasamy V (2016) Securing smart cities using blockchain technology. In:2016 IEEE 18th international conference on high performance computing and communications.
- 15.Kshetri N (2017) Can blockchain strengthen the internet of things? IT Profess 19(4):68–72.
- 16.Kiayias A, Russell A David B, Oliynykov R (2017) Ouroboros: a provably secure proof-of-stake blockchain protocol. In: Lecture notes in computer science, pp 357–388.
- 17.Pass R, Seeman L, Shelat A (2017) Analysis of the blockchain protocol in Asyn-chronous networks. Adv Cryptol ( EUROCRYPT) 2017:643–673.
- 18.Puthal D, Malik N, Mohanty SP, Kougianos E, Yang C (2018) The bockchain as a decentralized security framework [future directions]. IEEE Consum Electron Mag 7(2):18–21.